Irwin, Sargent & Lowes Limited (ISL Insurance) is a full service insurance brokerage that has been serving families and businesses for over 70 years within the Peterborough and Kawartha communities.
We are currently looking for enthusiastic individuals to fill the following positions:
Office/Finance Manager – Full Time
This is a full time Monday to Friday position. We offer a competitive salary, group benefits and a pension plan.
The Office/Finance Manager is responsible for ensuring the organization’s finances, human resources, health and safety and office administration is running efficiently and within legislative guidelines.
- Establish and maintain internal controls to protect the organization from financial fraud.
- Maintain financial files and records.
- Develop and maintain financial policies and procedures as necessary to ensure adherence to the RIBO legislation.
- Prepare an annual budget.
- Prepare monthly financial statements comparing actual results to the budget including projected year end values.
- Prepare monthly trust positions, monitor cash balances and transfer funds as necessary.
- Prepare year end audit file; liaise with the external auditors as necessary.
- Prepare and post all journal entries.
- Prepare and post all accounts payable (general and trust).
- Prepare and post all general deposits.
- Oversee and review all trust deposits.
- Process client refunds.
- Oversee and review all insurance company direct bill payments.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for the general and trust bank accounts.
- Reconcile direct bill revenue and resolve accounting discrepancies.
- Prepare and issue remittances for RST and Income Tax monthly.
- Prepare and issue remittances for HST quarterly.
- Prepare and submit the HST annual report.
- Prepare semi-annual RIBO reports.
- Prepare monthly production reports.
- Prepare and distribute monthly client account receivable reports.
- Prepare and distribute monthly renewal reports.
- Prepare quarterly a client and policy count report.
- Develop, maintain and communicate to staff human resource polices and procedures as required.
- Ensure the organization is compliant with all legislative requirements under the Ontario Employment Standards Act.
- Assist with the recruitment and general orientation of prospective staff; prepare advertising, assist with the development of an interview tool, organize and participate in the interview, perform reference checks; prepare an offer of employment.
- Maintain employee attendance records for the Administration and Commercial staff.
- Maintain employee personnel files.
- Maintain employee education records ensuring adherence to the RIBO education requirements.
- Prepare and submit payroll semi-monthly ensuring adherence to regulatory legislation.
- Balance and post payroll semi-monthly.
- Balance and approve T4 statements annually.
- Prepare and submit T5 statements annually.
- Prepare and submit EHT annual report.
- Prepare and submit employee Records of Employment as necessary.
- Act as the Administrator for the employee group health benefit plan; enroll and terminate employees, update employee information, assist with claims management.
- Calculate and process employee and employer benefit deductions; determine employee taxable benefit amounts.
- Reconcile and post the group benefit statement monthly.
- Act as the Administrator for the company Registered Pension Plan (RPP); assist with employee enrollment, updates and termination.
- Calculate and process employee and employer RPP contribution amounts, remit payments semi-monthly.
- Prepare and file RPP annual reports.
- Organize Employee Service Recognition.
Occupational Health and Safety
- Employer representative on the Joint Health and Safety Committee.
- Develop and maintain all Occupational Health and Safety Policies and Programs.
- Ensure the organization is compliant with Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Provide legislated Occupational Health and Safety training to all staff at time of hire and annually thereafter or as required.
- Maintain employee Occupational Health and Safety training records.
- Responsible for ordering company general office supplies, stationary, business cards and cleaning supplies.
- Responsible for maintaining the building security system, key inventory and key distribution.
- Maintain the office mobile phone contract.
- Maintain office equipment – phone system, headsets, postage meter, copier/fax/scanner, debit machine, shredding contract.
- Organize and maintain file retention.
- Become knowledgeable on any new or existing legislation that may impact the office. Prepare policies as necessary and educate the staff to ensure compliance. For example; Accessibility Standards, Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL), COVID.
- Receptionist/Administration Staff – includes attendance management, coaching and training, completion of annual performance appraisals, discipline, handling conflicts and complaints.
- Commercial Lines Staff – attendance management.
Education & Experience
- University Degree or College Diploma in Accounting/Finance or Business Administration/Management.
- CPA designation would be an asset.
- 2 years accounting and financial administration experience.
- 2 years human resource experience.
- Working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act would be an asset.
Please apply in confidence with a cover letter and resume to Anne Taylor, Office/Finance Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Commercial Insurance Broker – Full Time
The Commercial Lines Insurance Broker works in collaboration with a Producer to provide excellent customer service by assessing client insurance needs, exposing gaps in coverage, advising on insurance matters, recommending solutions and answering client inquires in a timely, courteous and professional manner. This position is also responsible for the processing of all documents and billing required for the client.
This is a full time Monday to Friday position with a hybrid onsite and remote work model due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. We offer a competitive salary, group benefits and a pension plan.
The successful candidate will have a RIBO license, a minimum of 2 years insurance experience, commercial preferred and excellent computer skills.
If this is of interest to you please send a resume and covering letter to Anne Taylor, Office/Finance Manager at email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.